Veteran Readiness and Employment,VR&E, Chapter 31

The Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) program, also known as Chapter 31, provides beneficiaries with tuition, fees, books, and school supplies through payments made directly to the school. You might also receive a monthly stipend.  

You’re eligible to apply for VR&E benefits and services if: 

If you are a Veteran:  

All of these must be true: 

  • You didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge, and 

  • You have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% from VA 

If you are still on Active Duty: 

At least one of these must be true: 

  • You have a 20% or higher pre-discharge disability rating (memorandum rating) and will soon leave the military, or 

  • You’re waiting to be discharged because of a severe illness or injury that occurred while you were on active duty 

 For current Chapter 31 eligibility requirements, visit VA.GOV’s Chapter 31 Eligibility page

If you think you qualify for aid through Chapter 31, apply on

The process for Chapter 31: 

  • The Chapter 31 counselor will meet with you and design a program to meet your employment needs 

  • Often, this includes completing a college degree program.   

  • If approved for higher education, the counselor will require a degree plan known as a Vocational Rehabilitation Academic Worksheet.  

  • This document can't be completed until you have been admitted to GMU and submitted an Intent to Enroll Deposit. You will work with your Academic Advisor to complete the plan which will include the number of credits required and expected time frame to complete our degree. 

  • Prior to every term and after you have registered for classes, you are required to submit a Veterans Registration and Reporting Form (VRRF). Please see a tutorial here

  • Your Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) will then submit a series of Purchase Order (PO) numbers through a third party vendor system called Tungsten. Your assigned Chapter 31 VRC will also provide you with the PO#. You will need two separate PO#'s. One PO# for Tuition & Fees and a semester parking pass, and a separate PO# for the GMU Bookstore (Barnes & Noble) to buy books and school supplies. 

    • Book Store PO# is managed by Barnes and Noble Corporate Office, not GMU.

      • In-Person: Corporate Barnes and Noble provides a list of names to the GMU Bookstore. You must take your ID to the bookstore and identify as a Chapter 31 student. If you are not on the current list, reach out to the Chapter 31 School Certifying Official. The SCO will assist you.

      • Online: Proceed to checkout and select payment option as Financial Aid. In lieu of Gnumber, please use your Bookstore PO#. The VA will only cover ground shipping. If renting a textbook, you must add credit card information to secure the rental. If you do not return the rental, your card will be charged.

    • In order to get a semester parking pass you will must:

      • Be registered for classes for the term in which you want a parking pass.

      • Submit a CH31 VRRF for the term you want a parking pass.

      • Have a valid PO# for a parking pass in Tungsten.

      • If this is your first semester using CH31 at GMU, please email the SCO at with your name, G#, CH31 counselor's name and contact info, and your parking PO# if you have it.

        • In-person: Let the office now your name is on the Chapter 31 VR&E Parking Pass Authorization List.

        • On-line: Email and let them know your name is on the Chapter 31 VR&E Parking Pass Authorization List.

  • Once a memo is on your account for the expected payment from the VA, financial aid can be refunded. A refund is not automatic. A Refund Request Form should be submitted via email to Please allow 10-15 business days for processing. In order to expedite the process, we recommend setting up Direct Deposit through Patriot Web Self Service. The option is located under the Personal Information Tab in Patriot Web Self Service.

  • For questions or assistance utilizing your Chapter 31 benefits at GMU please contact our Chapter 31 School Certifying Official, Michael Williams, at

The main Veteran Readiness and Employment office for most GMU Chapter 31 students is the:  

  • National Capital Regional Benefits Office 

          1722 I Street NW 

         Washington, DC 20421 

Xavier Thompson is the main Chapter 31 counselor assigned to Mason. He can be contacted at: 

Erica S. Strayhorn, Assistant VRE Officer is one of the Supervisors in the D.C. office. She can be contacted at:  

  • (202) 530-9262 ext. 3220 - primary 

  • (202) 530-9225 – secondary 

  • (202) 530-9162 – NCRBO VRE Front Desk 

Mason also has a VetSuccess counselor on campus 2 days a week. 


In 2002, Jason Sturm lost his left leg below the knee in an Army training exercise. Now, he's a world champion bobsledder and a CrossFit trainer for amputee and non-amputee clients. “I’d like to start a nonprofit that builds custom sports prosthetics," he says.